1. Simply because you don't have to do it alone. Having someone there that can physically and emotionally relate and help, such as a doula who has children of her own, is empowering and gives a unique sense of comfort.
2. Dad needs support too. Although he will be the main support, he will need rest, food and reassurance in order to support mama.
3. A doula can add to your experience in a positive way. Doula's love what they do and their joy of being present for after your birth will radiate into your experience. Helping with household chores or errands, even holding baby for awhile can bring so much relief.
4. Having a doula reduces rates of postpartum depression. When mama is calm and "underwhelmed", things always go smoother.
5. Doula's are educated support that never hurts to have more of, in fact, she can help assist with baby's first latch or offer her favorite sitz bath recipes!